When PTAs represent their diverse communities, they gain strength and effectiveness through increased volunteer and resource support. National PTA's Diversity & Inclusion page has toolkits and a wealth of information, resources and key strategies to enhance your PTA’s inclusion of every member of your school community. Multicultural Night Ideas.
Get Engaged With Your Diverse Families!
Here are some ways that you can get started with ensuring you are meeting the needs of your diverse community, and ensure every family feels welcome.
Remind your delegates that as a representative of your PTA it is critical that they attend your PTA meetings and give an update about the concerns and interests of the group they are supporting! Their report should be a regular item on your General Membership Agenda!
Diversity & Inclusion Toolkit
Tools to Support Specific Groups
- Overcoming Obstacles to Parent Involvement (for ALL families)
- Overview: How to Engage Underrepresented Groups
- Special Education ToolKit
- African American Children and Families
- Hispanic Children and Families
- American Indian/Alaska Native Children and Families
- Asian American Children and Families
- Pacific Islander American Children and Families
- Male Engagement
- Children in Military Families
- Children in Foster Care and Their Families
- Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and Queer/Questioning (LGBTQ) Children and Families
- Children With Special Needs and Their Families
- Location Matters: Urban, Suburban, and Rural Children and Families
Watch National PTA Every Child in Focus videos on YouTube